Saturday, April 10, 2010

Taylor Prather, Final Assignment

For my final assignment, I'd like the final product to be an amalgamation of a number of my skills. I'd like to do panoramic portraits of models, in the studio, then composite the images together and create very large, low depth of field portrait prints. Whether or not I paint the depth of field in photoshop is up in the air at the moment, though I'd prefer to do nearly everything through the lens. I've been constructing, and hopefully will complete soon, a neck brace which should keep the models nearly completely still (as utilized in old time daguerreotypes). I plan on shooting the faces in sections using the panoramic head, a 5D, and most likely the 50mm fixed (most comfortable with that lens in this scope atm, may change in the future). The final prints will be square format, 20x24 minimum sized, which is also subject to change. If I end up printing larger and need the use of print services, then I plan to work with Iva one on one on color correction.

As for the actual portraits, I think I'd like to photograph each model in a state of transcendental ecstasy. Not entirely sexual, but more an exaggeration of how we all feel when we experience a transcendental moment (existential realization, a moment of heightened self-awareness co mingled with joy, etc). I'd like to do a minimum of three, but no more than five.

1 comment: